Saturday, December 22, 2007

My son-a man

I was 15 when I got pregnant. Looking back that seems so painfully young. At the time I did not hesitate, I was going to keep my baby. I had such an easy pregnancy and labor, I didn't believe the OB when he said I may never be able to have another child. But, what he said was true. Justin is my one and only.

I was determined to do things properly for my child. I was also more determined than ever to have a career and become a nurse. I now had a child to provide for, it wasn't just me. So, no more going to the mall and parties with my friends. I lived with my mom and she tells me she remembers coming downstairs around midnight and I was at the table studying while I burped enough playtex nursers for the next day half dead, still a child myself. I don't think she thought I could do it. But, she doesn't say that now. I saw it in her eyes though, and that just added to my determination.

Justin was my sole responsibility while I went to school and worked. I promised Justin that things would be better once I got my degree, there would be more time and money for fun things. I told myself that it was good for him to see me get my degree than not, and it was to provide a better future. I believe that is true. My son is a wonderful man now.

Justin was always a joy. He was a happy baby. Adventurous, fun loving. And as he got older a hilarious sense of humor. So loyal to his friends. I thought he was going to be a vet because he loved animals. I have had cats, dogs (cause every boy needs a dog), iguana's, fish, mudskippers, birds...you name it. He always wanted to be a race car driver.

When he was a teenager I got divorced from his step-dad. Justin had a lot of anger for me, and his teenage years were hard. There were times I didn't think we would get through it. I always said I gave him a good foundation, and that he would turn things around in time. Luckily he found a reason to, Jen.

Jen is an amazing girl. She is creative, responsible, loyal, beautiful. She saw something in Justin when he was at his lowest. She loved him unconditionally, and helps to bring out the best in him. Without her I don't think he would be the man he is today.

Yesterday Justin and I went shopping to buy an engagement ring for Jen. It is gorgeous, princess cut, when Justin saw it he said, 'I'm liking that!' It made me laugh. He is planning to propose at midnight on New Years Eve at a family party. Jen's parents know they want to marry someday, but Justin is going to ask her dad for his blessing before he proposes.

I didn't realize how significant this would feel to me. It is such a major milestone, and I am so happy for him. I think that they have what it takes to make a wonderful life together. Even though he is 24, and has been an adult for a while. I feel like he is now a man. I couldn't be happier.

No comments: